Thursday 8 July 2010

My husband is a flirt - or why we cannot have it all

All is nice at work department, for a change. I am learning a lot, I like the people I work with, I drink every single day using tasting as an excuse, the customers truly want and respect my opinion.
The day before yesterday I had to work on my own while my French (and handsome) boss was in a meeting, and I was quite proud of myself for managing. I was particularly proud when I a French lady entered the shop and I had an entire conversation with her in French! And I advised a French person about wine! French wine, even!
So I was quite content with myself and my life, until I arrived home.
You see, my husband...long before middle aged crisis, and before we even had children (I am rethinking the whole child thing now), has become a flirt. You know, that guy that hits on people to test himself, see if he still got it because he's an insecure pig? You know, the guy you want to punch on the face? 
sigh. Yes, that seems to be him now.
I know, he used to hit on me when we worked together too. But I didn't see him hitting on anyone else, so I thought "Well, he fancies me. He really does. And only me"
Come to think about it now, he didn't have many options at the place we used to work, and not many girls found him attractive anyways (I heard a lot of "You are too pretty for him" from my colleagues).
But anyways...I digress.
I saw a mobile text from him  to a couple of girls at his work...the kind which shows just too much intimacy. Too much for my liking. Definitely flirty. Most definitely inappropriate.
I confronted him, he said it was normal, it was no big deal, and that I was making a big thing out of nothing.
That made me madder.
He even said mild flirtation at the work place is completely common and everyone does it.
Fuming.
Well, I don't! And my boss is something (Tall, slim, blue eyes, French and knows about wine)
And his behavior extends outside the workplace. I have noticed him ogling women when I am right there, and the side smile. You know, my dear husband has this once charming, now irritating Clark-Gable-style side smile. And he's got a dimple too (I have one too but don't use it for evil purposes). My mother used to say he used to look like he had a stroke when he smiled ("Why doesn't he smile with both sides like normal people?" "I don't know, mum")
He also tends to make his voice deeper when he's around an attractive woman. Quite annoying.
I am sick and tired of being always the jealous one. So I am starting to learn from him. I will now sometimes pretend I got a mobile message and grin and pretend to look embarrassed. "Why are you smiling?" "Nothing", I say, and put the phone away. I know it infuriates him. But he'd never say anything.
I also take long glances at attractive or just acceptable looking men and when talking to a male, even if he's a shop assistant, I make eye to eye contact, and smile, and change my voice slightly too.
I still haven't had any reaction from my husband. But I will.  
God I will.

2 comments:

  1. Dorinha, realmente torço para que as coisas entrem nos eixos. Por tudo que li aqui, garra e determinação para fazer dar certo você tem de sobra! Nunca perca a fé em você, no amor e na felicidade. Seu bem-estar acima de tudo...
    Saiba que estarei de longe enviando boas vibrações para que tudo se resolva e que você seja cada vez mais feliz, ok?!
    Te amo, minha amiga!
    Saudades de vc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bom, o melhor a fazer é estar sempre bem próxima do inimigo, por isso, finja que não não viu nada e tente se "aproximar" da "pirguetes" de plantão que ficam rodeando o seu marido.Vale inclusive fingir que é amiga e apresentar um bofe para ela chamar de seu!

    ReplyDelete