Monday 31 May 2010

I've cheated on my job...again


This is it. I am a serial cheater. Job cheater, at least. I had sent my CV to a chain of wine shops a week ago. And was invited for an interview (Seems my CV looks pretty decent). I pulled a "sickie" to attend it, and also to do a sparkling wine tasting. Once again, I thought the interview was rubbish (and I thought I was rubbish at the tasting as well), and once again, I was wrong. They called me up for a trial day, which fortunately was on a Saturday, so I wouldn't have to pull another sickie.
Meanwhile, I got paid. My first paycheck. I was quite happy about it, and started to think (on the way to work):"Mmmmm, maybe this isn't so bad. Maybe I am being too picky, too critical. I don't work that many hours a week, the money is good, the job is easy". So I went to work with one thing on my mind, I was going to evaluate how bearable my job was. Right.
I left work thinking "I am so tired, I got up so early, this "effing" train journey is so bloody long, that Lucy girl is a total bitch, I didn't even get a lunch break today, I really dislike my boss, and work itself is just ridiculous". How is that for an assessment?
So I went to the trial day at the wine shop. I really like wine shops, someday I hope to have my own, or have a wine bar. The manager looked a bit creepy, but he loved me. He immediately asked me to pick up any bottle in the shop and sell it to him, and so I did. He then said "Congratulations, you've got the job". That was the shortest "trial" ever.
Then he put me under a blind tasting, which I got at least country and grape varietal right. And for the rest of the time, we drank. Even champagne.
It seems they drink something every day, using customer tasting as an excuse. Or an excuse of "we have to drink to get to know the wines". I was fine with it.
On the way back, in the train, I saw my boss - the one I said I really dislike, remember? - and really felt like a cheater getting caught. Gladly, I looked slightly drunk on a Saturday  afternoon so he would never guess I was at a job interview, or trial.
The job is for junior manager, by the way. I thought it was interesting as I have never managed a wine shop before and would like to know how it really works. The progression to Branch Manager is supposed to be fairly straightforward and quick.
Thing is...it is more hours and less money. As I am dying to leave my mother-in-law's house, that should be taken into account, no? Should  I just do what I think would make me happier? And will more money make me happier? After all 400 pounds less a month is a lot. With 400 pounds I can have a great holiday (here in Europe, obviously), buy lots of clothes or my new wishlist item: The Phillips Lumea (my dream is to live a hairless, happy life).
If anyone has a word of wisdom anyone out there, it would be much appreciated. I tried asking my husband with the most depressing and disappoint results.


2 comments:

  1. Great for you for stepping out!!!
    I wish I had the nerve. I am really into photogrpahy and would love for that to be my full time job.

    Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. No more job interviews or psychological exams? Just sit and drink a lot of wine with me! I like this method!Drunk people never lies! Good look, manager!

    ReplyDelete