Wednesday 12 May 2010

why you shouldn't live with your mother-in-law

Since my new job so far has been a nightmare, I look forward to go home. The place I can have some peace, the place I can do whatever I want, and the place I can find some love. Home is sort of a compensation from work. When my husband isn't home - he isn't very often - I get love from Figgy the cat. He waits for me on my bed, meows when he seems me, asking for a stroke. He will also turn his little belly up so I can massage him. He lets me do that. I call him perfection or gorgeousness, and he lets me give him kisses. He also lets me feed him (my husband calls me "Figgy's bitch" but I think he's just slightly jealous). So I fed him yesterday.
I woke up today at 6 am, part of my new routine. Right, I went down to the kitchen already pissed off that I was awake at 6 am and had to go to that bloody job, and I found a to whom it may concern post-it: "Figgy is not a LION CUB FYI. He doesn't need that many biscuits! Stop overfeeding him! Thank you!" It was from my mother-in-law. Now I don't like sarcasm with my coffee and I didn't appreciate that. I went back upstairs and told my husband "We have to move out! You said it was temporary til I had a job. I have a job now!", to which he responded "Why should we waste our money on rent when we are saving to buy our own house?" (who's saving? maybe he is, I'm too self indulgent to save). So apparently I'm stuck to a list of house rules for a while longer. She actually gave me a written list the day after I moved in, when my husband was at work.
I'm not allowed to close the curtains during daytime, or close my door entirely except when changing. I also can't leave my wardrobe open, or eat in bed, or let Figgy in bed without many protective layers (Figgy is always in bed, layers or not). And those are just the bedroom rules! There are bathroom, kitchen and living room rules. I used to adore my mother in law but living with her cured that in no time!
Truth is no one should live with their mother past age of 18. Your mother or someone else's. But if it is someone else's mother is even worse, you cannot talk back! No, no, it's wrong: If you are married, three is a crowd, except for pets, pets are wonderful.
So now I'm eating risotto with a glass of white wine. In bed. Just to piss her off.

6 comments:

  1. That's ridiculous! I understand it's hard having your kid and his wife back living with you but why in the world would she make up so many rules? You're an adult, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I hope it's not for much longer! That sounds awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok this sounds absolutely dreadful. Who does she think she is leaving notes like that?! So passive aggressive. And why does a cat need to be a "lion cub" to be spoiled? Figgy deserves only the best.

    I can't believe she's set so many ground rules down. Keeping your bedroom door open unless you're changing? What is that all about? You guys need to move, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live with my f**kng mother in law and I HATE IT. Sorry you have to deal with her. When we (husband, daughter and I) moved in to husbands childhood home, husband said it would only be for 6 mths. That was two years ago. Everyday I wake up to hell and have no way to move because of no money. So good luck at least you have a job to go to everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, no barco só pode ter um capitão, amiga, se vários capitães dão ordens diferentes, o barco afunda, esteja certa. Eu concordo com o seu marido, seria muito mais inteligente guardar o $ para comprar a sua própria casa, mas é tão difícil aturar essas coisinhas. Eu não quis aceitar isso, partimos logo para alugar um ap, mas ainda quero comprar um imóvel sim, mas antes temos que descobri onde ele vai ficar. (P.S: estou me mudando de novo, eme breve, para São José dos Campos, é em SP, também). Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother says the difference between in-laws and outlaws is that outlaws are at least wanted by someone.

    I have in-law troubles, but nothing like yours. We just don't talk. And it's splendid.

    Saw your post over at Crystal's blog. I'm rooting for you and will look forward to happier posts.

    Thanks for stopping in at my blog, too. Happy to reciprocate.

    Best,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete