Sunday 2 May 2010

winetastingspeedating


I had an offer to do a Wine Tasting- Speed Dating thing a little while ago. I had mixed emotions about this: I wanted to do wine tastings but wasn't sure about the speed dating part. Somehow it cheapened it. It made the tasting seem like just an excuse for the dating. A topic of conversation, perhaps. Or just a way to get drunk faster and avoid the sheer embarrassment of talking about yourself to so many different strangers .
But I said alright, I will do it. It might be fun. It might give me confidence. I might do some networking.
Then the organizer, Anna, asked me to go on Friday (the 30th) and meet James, who would give her feedback about me, and Tom - who was also going for a trial.
I found out Tom and James were actors. And almost didn't go because of that. Why? Because I've never been much of an extrovert. I'm highly critical and I always feel silly trying to be funny and entertaining to a crowd of strangers. I'm funny and entertaining with my good friends only. And actors are...well, how can I explain?
 They are very vocal, they can pull every expression and impression needed, even if they are not confident they will ooze confidence...because they are actors. Therefore I was insecure, I didn't want to be evaluated or compared to an actor. I called my friend and she told me that there wasn't a moment in my life that I didn't look secure, that I always look like I am in control. And many people have told me that (Sometimes mentioning intimidating and arrogant as well.  Haha).
Right, I went there, met James, who was a very lovely Scottish guy (of course they would listen to him! Scottish accent is just adorable) and Tom, who is English and a truly nice guy as well.
I had the best time I have ever had whilst working. Seriously, get paid for that? To talk to people, to taste wines, to be around funny interesting colleagues? Beats waking up early to sit in front of a computer all day, don't you think?
So I took two lessons from Friday: One is that as soon as I can I will be my own boss, because teaching wines and interacting with people is what I love. And second is that I will never ever let an opportunity pass because of fear or insecurity.

2 comments:

  1. Ai, amiga, grandes lições estas, eu também estou decidida a um dia não ter mais "um chefe" independente do preço e da instabilidade que isso possa causar na minha vida. Essa vida de "empregada" não é para mim. Quanto a não perder as oportunidades por medo e insegurança, eu te digo com toda a certeza de quem já entrevistou muita gente nessa vida, "os escolhidos" não são os que sabem fazer, mas os que espalham o que fazem rsrsrsrs P.S: Se for para beber vinho e conversar com você eu topo que você seja a minha chefinha, me contrata! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ai, amiga, grandes lições estas, eu também estou decidida a um dia não ter mais "um chefe" independente do preço e da instabilidade que isso possa causar na minha vida. Essa vida de "empregada" não é para mim. Quanto a não perder as oportunidades por medo e insegurança, eu te digo com toda a certeza de quem já entrevistou muita gente nessa vida, "os escolhidos" não são os que sabem fazer, mas os que espalham o que fazem rsrsrsrs P.S: Se for para beber vinho e conversar com você eu topo que você seja a minha chefinha, me contrata! hahahah

    ReplyDelete