Friday 23 April 2010

Beauty and Grace

I finally went to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London to see the Grace Kelly Exhibition. We took a train to posh South Kensington - where the princes go on their rare night outings, and near where Prince William's girlfriend, Kate, lives. It is so cold and gorgeous at the same time, the perfect setting to see Grace.
Of course, we couldn't see the lovely Grace herself, but we did see her famous outfits - made for royal engagements or for films, her famous Hermes' bag and her even more famous Oscar. Wow, I had never seen an Academy award so up close. I remember being a child and thinking that I would definitely grow up to become an Oscar winning actress, wonder how that plan didn't quite progress. Anyways, I digress...back to Grace.
I used to be obsessed with Hitchcock's films, and she was in three of them.  It was said even the master of suspense couldn't resist her, and I became increasingly interested in knowing who this stunning woman was, so read her biography - one of them- and one of my favorite coffee table books was and is  Life: Remembering Grace (Great Photographers Series). She always fascinated me. But I supposed she's fascinating to most women. She always looked perfect. She was born rich, every man she met fell in love with her, she had a short but great career and she married a Prince. But I do imagine that she wasn't truly happy. Not after abandoning a "job" she loved, not moving so far away from friends and family. And missing the Hollywood cocktail parties to attend the ever so formal Royal ceremonies. I guess no one can have everything. But what the hell do I know?
I could google and youtube her and would never know. She gave nothing away. So enigmatic, so sophisticated and so elegant. Her name could only be Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment