Tuesday 20 April 2010

self indulgence

I am terribly self indulgent. I am not ashamed of it, in fact it is one of the things I most like about myself.
I used to be such a depressive-questioning-pessimistic teenager, and I like my adult self much better. I used to take myself very seriously, I would suffer and make sure everyone knew I was suffering. I used to read Byron, Shelley and Wilde. Now I will rarely sit and think about mortality and why life is as Woody Allen says - full of misery, loneliness and pain. Because...really, what is the point?
So when I have a day off with no one around, stuck in the suburbs of England, what do I do? I indulge.
My job hasn't started yet and yesterday I was out all day, so I took this day to do nothing. My husband asked as he always does - almost feeling sorry for me- as he leaves to go to work "So what are you doing today?" I smiled and said "Nothing!". I could see pity in his eyes. "Not even going to the gym?" "No. Nothing."
I was going to a museum in London today with my mother-in-law, but she decided she was going out to play bridge instead, and as my husband works all day and even Figgy the cat decided to go "hunting" in the garden, I am all alone. All-alone (grin).
So I spent a lot of time in the shower. I tried a new hair mask, I exfoliated my skin, I blew dry my perfumed hair slowly whilst reading another Audrey biography (Audrey: Her Real Story), which is actually pre-tty good. I had  welsh cakes with coffee. I massaged my feet and sang "moon river", with Audrey still on my mind.
And the day is not over yet, and I have a nice bottle of New Zealand Pinot Noir downstairs. And 2 books to read. Ignorance is bliss, dreams serve for sweet relieving and life is truly lovely.

2 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me that I am way overdue for this kind of day!

    I am glad you are enjoying your indulgences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I sound so much alike. Isn't it nice to just do...nothing? I feel like most people have forgotten how to completely indulge in having a day (or days) to themselves, to enjoy and drink wine and read and just BE, instead of being constantly busy slash stimulated every single weekday. Who said that life has to be lived that way?

    Enjoy your time off before the job starts!

    P.S.: I love that your cat's name is Figgy. It's so...British (and I love it!).

    ReplyDelete